Thursday, June 14, 2012

Brazilians as Latinos (!)

Coming to the US taught me a lesson about my identity. I had always seen myself as being "very Brazilian": I love Carnival, I can dance samba quite well, I drink coffee like crazy. However, being Latin-American was a totally alien idea to me. I never thought of the things Brazil and Bolivia, for example, had in common. Living here made me understand that Brazilians have a lot more in common with "Latinos" than I thought we had.

That perception came through American eyes, who referred to Brazil as "South America", a term that at first upset me. "Why South America?", I thought. "We don't even speak the same language." A year later, I got to know that yes, Americans are right. I am South American, I am Latina, and I love it!

What we call Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread) in Brazil, Bolivians call Cuñapes. Carnival is very popular all over Latin America. Brazilian soap operas are watched and adored in Colombia, El Salvador, Peru... We do share so many characteristics.

I feel lucky for having learned that. People in Brazil have no idea of how South American, how Latino we are; neither do they think this is a positive thing, I suppose. I guess they would have to understand all the issues about ethnicity always being discussed in the US in order to make sense of what I am saying.

Most Brazilians would be shocked to see that, here, Brazilians are not considered "white people". Here, being white does not only mean having light skin. It means being part of a historically priviledged ancestry, and we Brazilians are not a part of this group. While this would certainly upset some people in my country, it has been a very liberating experience for me.

Now, every time I have to declare my race/ethnicity ( something I had never had to do in Brazil), I am no longer in doubt: I just check the Hispanic/Latino box (even though I do not speak Spanish) and think of all the possibilities this new identity has brought me.   

                                                                                                                   F.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post!

    As a Brazilian myself, I'd like to comment specifically on the assertion that "here, Brazilians are not considered white people". Even after having met lots of foreigners over the years, it took your post to make me realize that that is indeed true.

    Yesterday I got to hear, once again, the only-too-common "But you don't look like a Brazilian!". To which I usually reply: "Because I'm descended from Europeans." It usually leaves a funny taste in my mouth: should I be ashamed? Angry?

    I guess the answer is to feel proud, even though I don't look the part. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adolfo,

      To me, what makes me really proud is the possibility of having this kaleidoscopic identity, with its myriad of traits I had not had the chance to explore living in the same place all my life. Now, I feel I have to spend some time in Latin America to find what else is out there for me to feel as part of my identity. Embrace new characteristics of your identity. You will love it!
      F.

      Delete