Monday, May 28, 2012

Dream or reality?


Living abroad is like being in a dream sometimes. I walk along the streets of my new hometown, and it feels like I’m detached from my body. I look around and people look different; they speak another language; they behave in a peculiar way. It feels like my soul is wandering around while I’m sleeping at home back in my country.

Other times, things here are oddly familiar, as if I had been here all my life. I go to the shops and know where to find all the bargains; I have made friends to whom I feel very close; my dogs swim in the river nearby, having the time of their lives.

I feel I have become this transient soul, coming back and forth, never totally at ease either here or back in my country. If I stay, I know I will be missing so many things which I used to take for granted. If I go, I’ll regret never having tried to live this experience of being abroad for a longer period. Having options can be painful sometimes…

The greatest reward, though, is knowing that, no matter where my journey takes me, wonderful people will be there for me.  
F            

No comments:

Post a Comment